Saturday, August 10, 2013

Moist Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

I have been quite busy for the past few weeks with work and preparation for my wedding so I didn't have the time to blog about what I baked two weeks ago.
I didn't take a picture of the whole cake but here is a picture of a slice
My sister just gave birth to another baby boy and she has been craving for chocolate cake. Since Mum is too busy taking care of her (my sister's) babies she got me to bake chocolate cake for the household and particularly for my sister. 


I am not really a big fan of chocolate cakes and that is why I haven't tried Just Heavenly Death by Chocolate yet.  Any idea if it is good? Even the name sounds unbearably chocolatey. Talking about popular cake stores, last Saturday while KC and I were at Amcorp Mall, I decided to try the cakes from Secret Recipe since we are getting a wedding cake from Secret Recipe. We walked into the store with the intention of getting only one cake but we were faced with so many choices that we ended up buying two cakes - White Chocolate Macadamia and Absolutely Chocolate. I wanted to try the Strawberry Vanilla too which from their premium cake range but since we have already got two cakes I will save it for my next indulgence! 

The White Chocolate Macadamia cake is good but I gave away all the Macadamia nuts to KC because I don't like nuts in cakes or cookies because they just completely ruin the taste of the cakes or cookies. I like the white chocolate and the sponge cake. As for the Absolutely Chocolate cake, I think it is so-so only.

Back to the Moist Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache, here is a revised recipe  which was featured in Flavours Magazine:-

For cake:-
  • 190g superfine flour (cake flour)
  • 60g  cocoa powder (you have to use good cocoa powder to get good quality chocolate cake)
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
  •  330ml water/fresh milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 340 g caster sugar
  • 180g butter (soften) 
For  chocolate ganache:-
  • 750ml fresh milk
  • 500ml condensed milk
  • 2 tbsp instant coffee
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 85g cocoa powder sifted
  • 4 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour sifted
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour sifted
  • 3 tbsp cold butter

Instructions:-
(This is according to how I did it)
Chocolate cake:-
1.  Cream the butter and sugar ("batter") in a stand mixer.
2.  While waiting for the batter to mix, add in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and instant coffee powder ("dry ingredients") in a bowl. Mix them and in another bowl sift them. Repeat sifting the dry ingredients three times. You need to do this to get the dry ingredients to a very fine texture.
3.  When the batter is light and fluffy, add in the eggs and water/milk. Alternate between the water/milk and eggs. Cream the mixture until light and smooth.
4.  Fold in the sifted dry ingredients with a spatula until smooth.
5.  Pour the batter into a lined cake pan and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (or until cake is cooked) in 175 degrees celcius. 

While waiting for the cake to bake, you can prepare the chocolate ganache.
Chocolate ganache:-
1.  Sift the cocoa powder, all purpose flour and corn flour.
2.  In a saucepan add in the milk, condensed milk, vanilla extract and the sifted ingredients.
3.  Cook the mixture over medium heat. Stir for about 15 minutes until smooth and thick. 
4.  Add in the butter and stir to combine.
5.  You will have a smooth and thick chocolate ganache.  

When the cake is ready, let it cool completely before icing it with the chocolate ganache.

Mmm... this is one of the best chocolate cake.  

This chocolate cake is ohh-so-yummy and it was gone within a week. Try it out yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment