Saturday, October 10, 2015

Bouchon Bakery Blueberry Muffin (2nd time baking and improved!)


As I am writing this, I'm nibbling on the muffin I baked this morning. It's so so yummy. Definitely better than the ones I made the first time. The first time I baked these Bouchon Bakery muffins, I used golden syrup which wasn't a good substitute at all since golden syrup and molasses taste very different. 


Molasses tastes a lot like a combination of dark soy sauce and palm sugar. Since I was determined to make the muffins again, I got a bottle of molasses (RM12.00), Beer Rabbit brand, just to bake these muffins.


I'm glad I used molasses instead of some other substitute because the muffin taste a whole lot better!





The other thing that was different this time was I didn't multitask. So I got the streusel on the muffins and, because I paid a lot more attention to the beating process, the texture of the cake turned out soft and fluffy! I'm very very pleased! 

I am now scratching out every bit of muffin that's stuck to the paper and savouring every last bit of it. 

Also, I didn't have the time to leave the batter overnight, so I kept the batter and the streusel in the fridge for over an hour. The cake was still very good.

Oh, and I didn't reduce sugar. My improved recipe is as follows:-

INGREDIENTS:
Cake 
125g fresh blueberries 
1 tbsp AP flour


85g SR flour 
110g cake flour 
1/8 tsp baking powder 
1/8 tsp baking soda 

100g salted butter 
95g caster sugar 
40g molasses   
55g honey 
1 large egg 
1/4 tsp vanilla extract 

60ml milk + 1/4 tbsp lemon juice (this was because my buttermilk was too frozen to be poured out) 

Almond Streussel 
60g AP Flour 
60g ground almond 
55g caster sugar 
60g salted butter, cold and cut into 1/4 inch pieces 

Method:- 
Toss blueberries and 1 tbsp flour in small bowl and place in fridge.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda.  

Cream butter in a mixing bowl with paddle attachment on medium-low speed until it's the consistency of mayonnaise. 

Add sugar and beat until combined. Add molasses and honey and mix on medium low speed until incorporated.


Add egg and vanilla paste and mix on low speed until well-combined. 
Fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by buttermilk. Repeat.

For streusel, mix flour, ground almond, sugar and cold butter together till it become crumb like.

Refrigerate the batter and streusel for 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven to 160C for 15 minutes.  
Remove batter from fridge and leave it out for 5 minutes. Add blueberries into the batter.

Spoon batter into muffin liners until 1 cm from the top. Sprinkle streusel generously on top of each muffin.


Bake in middle rack for 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
-------------------------------------------------- 



Big big blueberries in the muffins. Money worth spending!

Happy baking! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment