Monday, September 1, 2014

Waffle Saturday



My mum has a really good waffle recipe. Since it was the long Merdeka weekend, we decided to go on mini getaway to Bukit Tinggi. It's cooler there than in the city, especially after it rains, and nothing like enjoying warm waffle with ice cream on a chilly afternoon. 

I was thinking of making pancakes for the weekend but ended up making waffles instead because my mum prefer waffles. I've tried making pancakes from the box mix and the pancakes failed. But this time I did some research and compiled a list of pancake dos and don'ts so I shall save them for another day.

I tried Googling the differences between waffles and pancakes. I couldn't find much differences though. The only difference I could gather was that yeast is used in waffles whilst baking powder in pancakes. They are pretty much the same. Some even say that you can use waffles recipe for pancakes and vice versa.

Since we don't have much to do when we go up to Bukit Tinggi, I told my mum that we should make waffles. She brought up all the ingredients and the waffle maker because we don't keep many things at the house there. 


This is the first try. My mum said it turned out like this because of the weather there. But I told her it's not because having read the pancakes dos and don'ts I think it is due to the butter. Butter burns easily and we didn't use enough of it. I would recommend brushing some vegetable oil instead. 

This waffle maker has been with us for a very long time. It is quite handy to have one at home especially when you're in the mood to make your own waffles. We rarely use it though. I mean how often do you make waffles right. Unlike cakes or cookies, you can't keep them and slowly consume them. Waffles have to be eaten immediately so the portion would be just nice when you have family or friends around. The batter for waffle can be kept a few hours longer compared to pancakes. Haven't tried keeping them for few days but would not recommend it. 

We managed to make quite a lot of waffles with the amount of batter we had. About 8 I think. We couldn't finish the whole batch because we were indulging in fried noodles and ais kacang at Bentong before we had the waffles. It was a really indulgent weekend! The last two waffles went to our dog, Butter. I watched him eat. He really enjoyed it. 

It's a pain cleaning the waffle maker. You basically have to use wet tissues to wipe it until it is clean. I had to clean out all the hardened waffles pieces which are stuck in between the gaps in the waffle maker, it was tedious but worth the work.


Ingredients:-

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Beat eggs until fluffy.
  2. Beat in flour, milk, oil, sugar baking powder, salt and vanilla essence.
  3. Pour the batter into hot waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment