Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Coconut Chocolate Butter Cake (by Nasi Lemak Lover)



First off, lest I be accused of stealing, let me make it clear that this recipe is not mine. I'm merely following a fellow blogger's recipe. If you're interested in the original material please visit Nasi Lemak Lover's blog. I've said this before and I'll say it again, her blog is super awesome! There are tons of recipes there and you'll most likely find something you like to bake or cook on her blog. She updates her blog frequently and her recipes never fail to inspire.

Today we are baking a simple coconut chocolate butter cake. Experienced bakers can literally do this with one eye closed. It's like making marble cake but the vanilla goes on top and chocolate on the bottom instead of having swirls of chocolate in the vanilla.


Ingredients:
225g butter (unsalted) (Always salted. Not much difference, I think)
180g caster sugar 
4 eggs (large) 
1tsp vanilla extract

210g cake flour
1 1/4tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk

vanilla layer
30g Hawaii coconut flakes (Fresh grated coconut tastes good too)
1 tbsp white chocolate powder or 1/2 tsp coconut flavour (optional)

Instead of coconut flakes, you could use fresh grated coconut or dessicated coconut as well

chocolate layer  
1tbsp cocoa powder + 1 1/2tbsp milk (chocolate mixture) (increased to 3 tbsp as the colour was too light. To increase milk accordingly - 4tbsp)
20g chocolate chips

Method:
Bought Queen Organic Vanilla Essence which was super expensive. Would not recommend that and would never spend my money like that again! >.<
Beat the butter and sugar on low medium speed until light and creamy. Add in eggs one at a time and mix the batter after each addition. Add in vanilla extract and beat till fluffy.

Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and sift.

Fold in flour into wet ingredients in three batches alternating with milk.

Divide batter into two equal portions. Add chocolate mixture and chocolate chips to one portion and the other coconut flakes and coconut flavour.

Pour chocolate batter into 8" square pan. Smoothen surface then pour in coconut layer.

Bake at 170C for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of cake. Sprinkle some coconut flakes on top of the cake.

------------------------------------------------  

I would shun anything with coconut especially desiccated coconut, but somehow as you grow older your taste bud is more forgiving to the foods you once don't like.



Becks Cocoa White Wedding
To make the cake more aromatic, you could get some help from coconut flavouring. I used something called white wedding which is basically white cocoa powder. My dad only made this once to drink after that it has been quite lonely sitting on the kitchen counter. I decided that since it’s got quite a strong coconut flavour, I should use this to enhance the coconut flavour.


I really enjoyed this coconut chocolate butter cake but my mum criticized it harshly. She said it was too dry like the economical cakes you get from pasar. Ouch! But I take full responsibility and any faults in the cake should not be attributed to the recipe because I did not do exactly what the recipe says and one egg was added while folding in the flour because I was multitasking and I forgot! I admit that the chocolate part was a tad bit dry. Perhaps, I should add more milk to the chocolate batter next time.

Happy baking! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment