Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dorayaki - adapted from Cooking With Dog

The finished product. Colour of the pancakes is not even but they are still edible.
 Have you come across Cooking with Dog channel on Youtube? It is a great channel for learning how to make Japanese food. Of late I have become quite interested in Japanese food. I feel very inspired from Cooking with Dog videos and the cute and healthy bento box pictures posted by users I am following on Instagram. I am thinking of making bento box lunch next but I will need to shop for bento accessories first. I shall do that today.
I was so inspired by the dorayaki video on Cooking with Dog channel that I decided to make dorayaki last Sunday.
The link for the video can be found here: - Cooking with Dog - Dorayaki

Dorayaki is a pancake like Japanese snack with red bean filling. It is a good and healthy choice of snack.

The recipe is as per the recipe in the video:-
 (I managed to make 5 dorayaki with this recipe)

For dorayaki pancakes:-
  • 2 eggs
  • 80 g Johakuto sugar or raw sugar (I used caster sugar since i don't have Johakuto sugar and I don't know what raw sugar is?)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 50 ml water
  • 130 g cake flour (superfine flour)
  • 1-3 tsp of water to adjust the thickness of the batter
For filling:-
  • 100 g red bean paste
  • 50ml whipping cream
  • 1/2 tbsp sugar
I tried looking for red bean paste on last Sunday but unfortunately the baking supplies shops at Taman Megah were closed. At Cold Storage there was only canned kidney beans but since KC doesn't like kidney beans we opted for corn. So the dorayaki I made was with cream corn filling. I am not really fond of red bean desserts so I was happy to have  the cream corn filling! It was a good substitute.

Break two eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk the eggs with a balloon whisk. Add in sugar, honey and baking soda mixed with water and continue whisking until the batter is pale yellow in colour.


Once the batter is pale yellow sift in the flour and mix with the balloon whisk. Careful not to over mix the batter.

Cover the bowl with a cling film and let the batter rest for about 30 minutes. You will find the batter a bit thick add in 1-3 tablespoon of water bit by bit as you stir the batter until the consistency of the batter is as per above first picture from the right.

Now you are ready to cook the pancake. Grease a non-stick pan with oil. Make sure the oil is evenly distributed on the pan. I use a paper towel for this. You may use a pastry brush if you have one that is heat-proof. According to Francis, the host of Cooking with Dog, once the bubbles start to form on the pancake, flip it over. Somehow my batter failed to form as much bubbles as in the video. -.-"

I burnt my first pancake a bit because the heat was too high. Make sure you cook the pancake on low heat. When the pancakes are done let them cool on a cooling rack. It is important to use a cooling rack instead of a plate so the vapour from the hot cakes won't trap on the plate and make the cake soggy. Meanwhile, mix whipping cream and corn. Once the pancakes are cool spread the cream corn filling in the center of the cake.
The pancakes could have been fluffier and lighter but somehow mine was very firm >.< The filling was however very tasty! It is a good idea to have corn and cream filling!

Try it out yourself. It is fun to make and you and your love ones can enjoy a delicious and healthy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment