Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pumpkin Crumble Mini Cake

I am tired of reading fake reviews online about how good cakes from so and so actually are. I like reading food blogs but not all are truthful in their reviews. It is either that or they really have no taste.


For instance, at one point in time people are raving about one apparently very good cempedak cake in town. After all the hype, I bought a slice and took it home to taste . I think my family are good judges in cakes since our taste buds have been spoilt by my mum's yummy cakes. Turned out the cake does not even taste like cempedak at all. In fact we found that it has a hint of gingery taste. It was dry, bland and a bit on the stale side. So depressing. Worst cake eveeerrr! Felt so cheated, paid RM12 for it!

The only cake store that I trust is Just Heavenly. The red velvet cake is excellent. So fluffy and light. Really a case of just heavenly. I tried many other red velvet cakes (which are said to be "the best in town", "freshly baked everyday" blah blah blah) but this is by far the best for me.

My parents have given up buying cakes outside because it is hard to find good cakes around. That is why most of the time we bake at home. This week I volunteered to bake Pumpkin Crumble Cake. I was thinking of the time when I shared a slice of squash cake with one of my favourite colleague (who unfortunately has left. I really miss her!) I am more than happy to bake for my family because I love baking! It is so therapeutic for me. Being able to see how pretty the cake turns out in the end. I am a really neat baker. I keep everything neat and tidy and wipe off any drop of batter or mess caused in the process. I normally throw all the eggs shells and empty packaging in one bag which I keep on the side. I like that. Keeping everything neat and tidy. So calming, so fulfilling.

The pumpkin, creamy and soft, complements the cake well while the crumble is a perfect topping with its sweet, crunchy and nutty flavour.

Ingredients:-
Cake
200g butter
180g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tbsp rum
200g steamed pumpkin (diced neatly into cubes)
120 ml milk
300g self raising flour

Crumble
75g butter
90g brown sugar
120g walnuts
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Since I was going out for dinner with some friends that night, I wrapped the cakes in cling film and gave them out. One of the best thing about baking is being able to share the baked goods with family and friends.

Long live good cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment