Wednesday, July 29, 2015

American Chocolate Cake (Ethan's Birthday Celebration)


I finally had the chance to bake a kid's birthday cake for my adorable nephew who turned two years old. Since I haven't baked chocolate cake in awhile, I looked up my mum's collection of recipes for chocolate cake. I came across several recipes for American Chocolate Cake. Not sure why is it called American Chocolate Cake, maybe because it is rich and sweet like how most Americans like their desserts?


On the topic of chocolate cake, I heard that Le Trianon chocolate cakes are to die for. I was at The Curve last week so I popped by their shop to buy a slice.


Le Trianon sells only two types of cakes and both are chocolate cakes - Trianon and Chocolate Heaven. I wanted to try Chocolate Heaven which looks more like cake but they only sell the whole cake so I ended up getting a slice of Trianon (a very petite and expensive slice I must say). 


Trianon has a thick layer of chocolate on top and the base is made of wafer biscuit. If you ask me, I say it tastes like Ferraro Rocher, but better with less hazelnut flavour. I don't think it's considered a cake because there's no cake in it, just chocolate and biscuit.


This is a recipe my mum learned from a class she attended at a neighborhood cake supply store, Guten Braun.


Excuse the ugly writing

Cake  
(A)
90g butter
130g caster sugar

(B)
3 eggs
120ml whipping cream
2 tsp rum
1 tbsp chocolate paste

(C)
75g AP flour
130g sponge cake mix
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder 




Preheat oven to 150°c and line 8"x4" round cake pan.

Beat (A) on medium speed until well-combined and smooth.

In a separate bowl whisk (B) until well-combined.

Meanwhile, sift (C). I sifted three times to get really fine flour.

Stir in (B) to (A) then fold in (C).

Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked.

Allow cake to cool. Prepare the chocolate fudge.

Chocolate fudge
250ml whipping cream
250g dark chocolate

Cut chocolate to small cubes and melt in microwave. Stir until smooth. 

Boil whipping cream and stir. Mix whipping cream in melted chocolate and stir until well-combined. Allow chocolate mixture to cool before frosting the cake.

Chill the cake in the fridge for about 3 hours. Remove and cut into two layers. Spread chocolate on one layer of the sponge and place the other one on top. You may start icing the cake. Use a turntable for this. Decorate cake as desire. Chill cake overnight before serving.


--------------------------------------------------

Since this is for my little nephew, I used colour sprinkles and star cookie cutters to create three different size stars and used some sprinkles for the bottom. I'm not good at decorating cake. I wish the cake had more wow factor. Any idea on how to improve it?



We had such a great time celebrating Ee's birthday. My sis made her signature guacamole and we had it with Ruffles chips because we ran out of tortilla chips. We barbequed chicken wings, sausages, had salad, pasta and tons of fruits. When it was time to cut cake, everyone was so full but still had a big piece of cake each. There's always room for dessert.



Reusing Starbucks bottle for cranberry juice



Only two leftover slices
The cake was so delicious. The cake was moist and crumbly and the chocolate fudge so decadent. I had a huge piece myself. It's a great chocolate cake. You've to try it!


Happy baking! xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment