Monday, July 13, 2015

Carrot Banana Cake - Recipe from The Star

Nutty and fruity cake packed with bananas, carrots, sultanas and generous sprinkling of chopped walnuts

Happy Monday! I hope none of us are suffering from Monday blues. Well, if you are, here's a carrot banana cake recipe loaded with sunshine and happiness to cheer you up.


Since this is a recipe from The Star newspaper, I won't be regurgitating the recipe here but if you've missed this recipe, here's a snapshot of the recipe from the newspaper itself. This recipe is by Amy Beh.




The Star, 05/07/2015. Click for larger view.

I wanted to bake bread but my mum who likes trying out recipes from The Star asked me to bake this carrot banana cake instead.


Instead of stirring butter, honey and sugar in a saucepan, we did it like how we would normally make butter cakes - beat butter and sugar, add in eggs and other liquid ingredients and then fold in flour. This, is a foolproof method in making cakes. I am curious as to how the cake would turn out if it was done according to the method in the recipe, but if you've tried the recipe method, do let me know how it turns out.


We used jungle honey, those sold in soy sauce bottles by road-side traders. It was a bit fermented so it made the cake aromatic. We used cinnamon instead of mixed spice. 



This cake may not be low-fat, but it is loaded with the goodness of carrots, banana and walnuts.




I've been baking so much lately that our house fridge is always filled with baked goodies by the end of Sunday. Not necessarily a bad thing since we'll have nice homemade cakes for breakfast or snacks on busy working days.




Brought some to share at work. A colleague said it was too moist and would have preferred it more crumbly. It's because there were a lot of fruits and carrots in this cake. 


My mum and I thought the cake tastes too much like carrot cake, maybe due to cinnamon? 


I think the cake will be pure indulgence with some cream cheese frosting. It tastes a bit like my mum's carrot cake which I absolutely love. I've tried other carrot cakes before and never developed a liking for outside carrot cakes.


Happy baking folks! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment