Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts - Recipe by Ina Garten

Cinnamon doughnuts topped with crunchy brown sugar and sweet-smelling cinnamon make a scrumptious treat for sharing


I love doughnuts. They are one of the most delicious snacks ever created but I hate the fact that they are deep fried which is why I stay away from Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme. 


I was watching an episode of Barefoot Contessa where Ina Garten made these wonderful cinnamon doughnuts. Best part is the doughnuts are baked not fried which means less oil used. What girl wouldn't want to enjoy delicious doughnuts with lesser fat content. 


My desire to make doughnuts was also partly motivated by the doughnut cutter I found whilst tidying up my mum's bakeware cabinet. 


You can easily look up the recipe on food network which I did, and without hesitation started to prepare the ingredients for baking. It was only halfway through the process that I realised a doughnut cutter cannot be used as the recipe produced batter not dough. I tried placing mini cups in the middle of a bigger cup to make a mock doughnut pan but the mini cup floated up when I poured the batter in. So much for trying! After a lot of mess with the batter I had to remove the mini cups and bake the doughnuts without holes. 


Make sure that you have doughnut pans before trying this recipe. Alternatively, you can bake doughnut without holes and use a round cookie cutter to cut out holes in the center later, which was what I did.


Ingredients:-
250g all-purpose flour
285g sugar (I reduced to 230g as we don't like anything too sweet)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I used salted butter and omit salt)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 

For the topping:
120g unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Method:-
Preheat the oven to 175°c. Spray 2 doughnut pans well. 

Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. 

Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. Bake for 17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan. 

For the topping, melt the 8 tablespoons of butter in an 8-inch saute pan. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each doughnut first in the butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, either on one side or both sides.



Like I mentioned above, I used small bowls - "loh mai gai" bowls - to bake the doughnuts and later cut out holes . Remember to grease the pan well. I forgot this step and had a hard time removing the doughnuts from the bowl. My mum saved the little cut-outs for my nephew's after school snack.


Instead of adding sugar into the flour, baking powder etc. I whisked it with the egg and other wet ingredients. After that I added the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.


Baking time was increased to 45 minutes as the top of the doughnuts were still wet and uncooked at 30 minutes. For the topping, I got a little help from mum. We dipped the doughnuts into salted butter and then in a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar.


It was lovely to have our whole kitchen filled with sweet-smelling cinnamon and brown sugar while baking these doughnuts. Despite the doughnut pan trouble which made the doughnuts a bit wonky, the doughnuts were really delicious. There is a slight cake texture to them but at the same time they taste like how doughnuts should taste when baked. Hubby said it could be improved by having fluffier inside and crunchier outside. Overall, the cinnamon doughnuts were a hit with my family.


Happy baking! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment